SambaLá Samba School
|SambaLá Samba School|
|Group type||Traditional samba school|
|Date founded||March 23, 1994|
SambaLá Samba School is a traditional samba school in the United States that currently resides in Pompano Beach, Florida. SambaLá was founded in Long Beach California but in 2015, moved to southern Florida. SambaLá continues to grow in Florida with active members living in Florida, California, around the country, and in Brazil.
SambaLá Samba School was founded in early 1994 by David de Hilster in response to his wife's Doris de Hilster homesickness for Brazil. David thought that creating a community for Doris in the United States, that she would not want to return to Brazil. The grand opening of the school took place at the Foothill Club (since razed) in Signal Hill California on the day of the final of the Soccer World Cup in 1994. SambaLá quickly grew with the local population. SambaLa also had celebrity Brazilian cook to the movie stars Remi Vila Real help with cooking for school events.
SambaLá first paraded in Long Beach California with MILA Samba School (now disbanded) during the Long Beach Carnaval in 1995. In 1996 with the Long Beach Carnaval having ended, SambaLá started the Brazilian Street Carnaval which hosted several parades and groups on stage and was free to the public.
In 2001, SambaLá Samba School moved to Tony's French Dips Restaurant which at that time was owned by David and Doris de Hilster. There, SambaLa put on weekly shows for the public and often hosted.
In 2008, SambaLá hosted a successful Carnaval Ball at Vault 360 in downtown Long Beach which featured a samba parade, various artist, and carnaval marches including a brass band. There was also food cooked by Brazilian Chef to the stars Remi Vila Real.
In 2009, president David de Hilster and Doris de Hilster along with their daughter were flown to New York City for the Brazilian Day in Los Angeles to be honored for their community work with SambaLa by Regina Caze with a live song dedication by Brazilian rap artist Marcelo D2.
In 2010, SambaLá paraded for the last time in Long Beach during its annual Brazilian Street Carnaval, with the school and its directors taking over the Brazilian Day in Los Angeles in the years 2011 to 2012.
In 2014, David de Hilster and Doris de Hilster moved to Boca Raton Florida becoming executive directors of the school leaving Valeria Ruggieri and a new directorate in California. After over a year, a new directorate was formed in Florida and SambaLa officially moved to Florida.
SambaLa Samba School paraded for the first time in Florida in September of 2015 at the Brazilian Beat Festival in Boca Raton Florida. Since then, it has paraded two more times both in 2016 in Boca and in Pompano Beach at the Pompano Beach Festival.
In 2016, SambaLa also rented it own space in Pompano Beach Florida where it currently gives classes, has meetings, and stores it instruments and costumes.
In April of 1995, SambaLá became the first samba school to have a website on the internet. Mangueira of Brazil soon followed and then Imperio do Papagaio was the third. In 1997, David de Hilster registered the domain worldsamba.org which was to help organize the Unidos do Mundo samba school which paraded in the Sambadrome in the champion's parade in the year 2000.
List here are the personel of SambaLá Samba School.
- 1994-2013 David de Hilster
- 2013-2015 Valeria Ruggieri (David de Hilster, Doris de Hilster executive directors)
- 2015-present David de Hilster
- 1994-1996 Iraguacu
- 1996-1999 Alvaro Aguiar
- 1999-2005 Monica Tibbs
- 2005-present Valeria Ruggieri (California)
- 2006-present Andrea Araujo (Florida)
- 1994-1996 Iraguacu
- 1994-1999 Alvaro Aguiar
- 1999-2001 Jesse Kitten
- 2001-2003 ???
- 2003-2004 Claudinho Smiles
- 2004-2008 David de Hilster
- 2008-2010 Rodney de Assis
- 2013-present David de Hilster
Rainha da Bateria (Samba Queens)
- 1994 Vania Motta
- 1995 Estephania
- 1996 Luzia Arnold
- 1997 Jaqueline Cunha
- 1998 Bruna
- 1999 Marcia Carvalho
- 2000 Monica Tibbs
- 2001 Marcia Kellog
- 2003-2006 Jonia McCleny
- 2007-2010 Valeria Ruggieri
- 2013-present Diane Yakamovitch (Rainha da California)
- 2016-present Andressa Carvalho (Rainha da Florida)
Madrinha da Bateria (Samba Goodmothers)
- President: David de Hilster
- Carnavalesca & Show Director: Doris de Hilster
- Carnaval Director: Alex de Oliveira
- Vice-President: Paulo Garcia
- Secretary: Lilian Kong
- Directors: Marlus Santos
- Show & Event Producer: Edmarco Silva
- Madrinha: Valeria Ruggieri
- Rainha da Bateria Florida: Andressa Carvalho
- Rainha da Bateria California: Diane Yakamovitch
- Primeira Porta-Bandeira: Lilian Kong
- Primeiro Mestre-Sala: Edmarco Silva
- 1996-2010 Brazilian Street Carnaval, Long Beach, California
- 2000 Parade of Champions, Rio de Janeiro
- 2010 Rose Parade with Jack-in-the-Box
- 1999 Launch of Kia Motors "Rio" car in Seoul Korea
- 2003 Danny Elfman, Bridget Fonda wedding
- 2012 Beck Reimagines David Bowie's 'Sound and Vision'
- 2013 with Monobloco, Blue Man group, and LA Philharmonic
- 2014 Coca-Cola worldcup tour, Los Angeles California
SambaLá Samba School is currently located in Pompano Beach Florida and has its own modest rehearsal space where it gives classes, practices, and stores its costumes and instruments.